Project Semicolon teaches that your story is NOT over

"A semicolon represents a sentence the author could have ended, but chose not to. The sentence is your life and the author is you."

This is the mission statement of the movement Project Semicolon, and yesterday, thousands of people who self harm, are suicidal, suffer from depression, have anxiety, are going through a broken heart or are unhappy drew a semicolon on their wrists to signify that they are not giving up on life. This was the third year that people around the world did this on April 16 to raise awareness.

Holly Blades, one of the founders of Project Semicolon, said, "Your mental illness will tell you that your story is over, that you should just give up. I am here to tell you that is the farthest thing from the truth."

As a journalist, we're taught to always be concise. Short and to the point. But, for my personal life, I vow to throw this rule out the window.

I don't know about you, but I want my life to be one long run-on sentence, so long it would make my editors cringe. And hopefully my life will not have a period in it for about 90 years or so (and I mean a figurative period, not the one regarding a menstrual cycle, although I could live without that too). 

Throw out all those grammatical rules you learned throughout school. No matter what trials may come your way, remember not to prematurely end your story. Remember the semicolon instead and keep living your life.

You never know what may be around the corner, making all of your troubles a distant memory and showing you that the beginning of your story led you here.

For more information about Project Semicolon, visit www.projectsemicolon.com.

You Might Also Like

0 comments